Yale University.Calendar.Directories.

International Students

Admission Requirements for International Students

All international student applicants for the 2017–2018 academic year at the Yale School of Architecture must complete the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Program (see Standardized Examinations in the chapter Admissions).

In addition, all applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the Internet-based test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT), a test that includes a section on spoken English (see Standardized Examinations in the chapter Admissions).

Any transcripts, letters of reference, or other application material written in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified translation.

In order to receive visa documentation, international students must submit proof that income from all sources will be sufficient to meet expenses for that year of study. Each student accepting admission to the School must submit an International Student Certification of Finances form. This form, available from the Registrar’s Office or accessible on our Web site (http://architecture.yale.edu), is due April 15 with acceptance of the admission offer. It must be completed and signed by the parents (and spouse, if applicable) of an international applicant, and must include all bank and tax information.

See the chapter Admissions for further admission requirements.

Return to Top

Language Skills

All course work at the School is conducted in English. Enrolled students who have difficulties with the English language, whether written or spoken, will be required to take extra courses in its use before they are promoted within their program. Students requiring such courses are responsible for any added tuition cost(s). Financial aid for such English language courses is not available.

Return to Top

Financial Aid for International Students

See the chapter Financial Assistance for the Master’s Programs for information regarding financial aid.

Return to Top

Office of International Students and Scholars

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) coordinates services and support for Yale’s 5,000 international students, faculty, staff, and their dependents. OISS staff offers assistance with issues related to employment, immigration, and personal and cultural adjustment, as well as serves as a source of general information about living at Yale and in New Haven. As Yale University’s representative for immigration concerns, OISS provides assistance to students, faculty, and staff on how to obtain and maintain legal nonimmigrant status in the United States. All international students and scholars must register with OISS as soon as they arrive at Yale; see http://oiss.yale.edu/coming.

OISS programs, like the Community Friends hosting program, daily English conversation groups, U.S. culture workshops and discussions, bus trips, and social events, provide an opportunity to meet members of Yale’s international community and become acquainted with the many resources of Yale University and New Haven. Spouses and partners of Yale students and scholars will want to get involved with the International Spouses and Partners at Yale (ISPY), which organizes a variety of programs.

The OISS Web site (http://oiss.yale.edu) provides useful information to students and scholars prior to and upon arrival in New Haven, as well as throughout their stay at Yale. International students, scholars, and their families and partners can connect with OISS and the Yale international community virtually through Facebook.

OISS is housed in the International Center for Yale Students and Scholars, which serves as a welcoming venue for students and scholars who want to peruse resource materials, check their e-mail, and meet up with a friend or colleague. Open until 9 p.m. on weekdays during the academic year, the center—located at 421 Temple Street, across the street from Helen Hadley Hall—also provides meeting space for student groups and a venue for events organized by both student groups and University departments. For more information about reserving space at the center, go to http://oiss.yale.edu/about/the-international-center/international-center-room-reservations. For information about the center, visit http://oiss.yale.edu/about/international-center.

Return to Top

Yale QuickLinks.