The School of Medicine was established following passage of a bill in the Connecticut General Assembly in 1810 granting a charter for “The Medical Institution of Yale College,” to be conducted under the joint supervision of the college and the Connecticut State Medical Society. The institution was formally opened in 1813, and the first degrees were conferred the following year. In 1884, with the approval of the Medical Society, the original charter was amended to place the School definitely in the control of the College as the Medical School of Yale College. The name Yale College was changed to Yale University in 1887, and the name of the Medical School was automatically changed. The present name was adopted in 1918.
Shortly after the establishment of the School, members of its faculty and physicians in the state joined with other citizens in raising funds for a hospital in New Haven to provide, among other services, clinical facilities for the instruction of medical students. The outcome of these efforts was the incorporation of the General Hospital Society of Connecticut in 1826, and the opening of the New Haven Hospital in 1832. The New Haven Dispensary was founded in 1872 and later became a division of the New Haven Hospital. Instruction in clinical medicine has been conducted in the hospital continuously since its establishment.
A merger was effected in 1945 between the New Haven Hospital and Grace Hospital to form the Grace-New Haven Community Hospital. The affiliation agreement between the hospital and University was revised in 1965 and the name of the institution changed to Yale-New Haven Hospital (YNHH). In 1999, a separate affiliation agreement was adopted by the University and the Yale New Haven Health System.
Members of the professional staffs of the VA Connecticut Healthcare System, West Haven, and the Connecticut Mental Health Center, 34 Park Street, hold appointments in Yale University.
As a preeminent academic medical center that supports the highest-quality education, research, and patient care, the Yale School of Medicine will (1) educate and inspire scholars and future leaders who will advance the practice of medicine and the biomedical sciences; (2) advance medical knowledge to sustain and improve health and to alleviate suffering caused by illness and disease; and (3) provide outstanding care and service for patients in a compassionate and respectful manner.
Located southwest of the New Haven Green and Yale’s Old Campus, Yale-New Haven Medical Center includes the School of Medicine, School of Public Health, Yale New Haven Hospital (YNHH), Smilow Cancer Hospital, Connecticut Mental Health Center, and the John B. Pierce Laboratory. In 2013 the School of Nursing moved to Yale West Campus in Orange, Connecticut.
The School of Medicine’s Sterling Hall of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, is the central building. This handsome limestone structure with domed roof includes administrative offices, the 450-seat Mary S. Harkness Auditorium, the Center for Cellular and Molecular Imaging, the Child Study Center, the departments of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Pharmacology, Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, Genetics, Cell Biology, Neuroscience, Yale Cancer Center, and History of Medicine.
The Harvey Cushing/John Hay Whitney Medical Library, also located in Sterling Hall of Medicine, houses approximately 416,000 volumes and subscribes to more than 22,000 electronic journals and 36,000 electronic books.
Connected to the south end of Sterling Hall is the Jane Ellen Hope Building, a teaching facility of conference rooms and lecture halls. At Sterling’s north end is the Nathan Smith Building, which spans Cedar Street, joining the School of Medicine and YNHH patient-care facilities, including the Hunter Building, which houses research laboratories for Therapeutic Radiology and Dermatology. The Nathan Smith Building contains offices and laboratories of Yale Cancer Center and the department of Genetics. Entrances to the Hope and Nathan Smith buildings are at 315 Cedar Street and 333 Cedar Street, respectively.
Yale New Haven Hospital (YNHH) is a nationally recognized, 1,541-bed, not-for-profit hospital serving as the primary teaching hospital for the Yale Schools of Medicine and Nursing. YNHH was founded as the fourth voluntary hospital in the United States in 1826. Today it includes a Children’s Hospital, a Psychiatric Hospital, Smilow Cancer Hospital, and two main campuses in New Haven (York Street and Saint Raphael). YNHH has a combined medical staff of about 4,129 University and community physicians practicing in more than one hundred specialties. Last year, YNHH cared for 78,452 inpatients and handled nearly 1.3 million outpatient encounters. YNHH (www.ynhh.org) is the flagship hospital of the Yale New Haven Health System, an integrated delivery system that includes Bridgeport Hospital, Greenwich Hospital, and their affiliated organizations.
The Laboratory of Epidemiology and Public Health is the School’s other major teaching facility and is home to the nationally accredited Yale School of Public Health. The nine-story building at 60 College Street contains classrooms, laboratories, an auditorium, and the office of the dean of Public Health. (Additional administrative offices are housed on the second floor of 135 College Street.) It also is the site of a World Health Organization Collaborating Center, focusing on health promotion policy and research.
Laboratories and offices for the School’s clinical departments are located in contiguous buildings across Cedar Street from Sterling Hall. The Anthony N. Brady Memorial Laboratory and Lauder Hall provide offices and laboratories for the departments of Surgery, Pathology, Urology, Comparative Medicine, and Anesthesiology. The Boardman Building houses offices for the departments of Surgery and Internal Medicine. Farnam Memorial Building (FMB) and the Laboratory of Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology (LSOG) provide facilities for the departments of Surgery; Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation; Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences; Neurosurgery; Neuroscience; Internal Medicine; Pediatrics; and Comparative Medicine.
The YNHH Clinic Building connects Farnam with the Laboratory for Medicine and Pediatrics (LMP). Adjacent to the Clinic Building are Tompkins Memorial Pavilion (TMP) and Fitkin Memorial Pavilion (FMP), facilities shared by the hospital and the School. They contain the departments of Anesthesiology, Laboratory Medicine, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Pathology, Radiology and Biomedical Imaging, and Urology; the Cardiology section; offices for the Cancer Center; and laboratories and offices for the Department of Pediatrics. On the other side of the Clinic Building are Fitkin Amphitheater, the LMP, and the Lippard Laboratory for Clinical Investigation (LLCI), which houses Neurology department offices and research labs for the departments of Dermatology, Pediatrics, and Therapeutic Radiology.
Laboratories of the departments of Ophthalmology and Visual Science and Neurology; the Cardiology section; the Cancer Center; the Keck Foundation Biotechnology Resource Laboratories, and the Human and Translational Immunology Program; offices for the Geriatric section; and laboratories and offices of the Department of Psychiatry are located at 300 George Street. Many of the Psychiatry department’s teaching, research, and patient-care activities are conducted at the Connecticut Mental Health Center and the Yale New Haven Psychiatric Hospital.
The Yale Physicians Building (YPB), a four-story structure on the southwest corner of Howard and Davenport avenues, contains outpatient specialty and consultative services, X-ray, laboratories, and a pharmacy. It also houses academic offices for Otorhinolaryngology. Ophthalmology clinical services and offices moved in 2007 to 40 Temple Street.
The Magnetic Resonance (MR) Center, on the corner of Davenport and Howard avenues, operated by the Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging, maintains three MR imaging systems for clinical examination. A new Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Center, also operated by the Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging, maintains a cyclotron radioisotope system for imaging research.
The Boyer Center for Molecular Medicine, at the intersection of Congress Avenue and College Street, houses multidisciplinary programs in Molecular Genetics, Cell Biology, Microbial Pathogenesis, and the interdepartmental Program in Cellular Neuroscience, Neurodegeneration, and Repair.
College Place, a series of buildings at 37–55 College Street, houses a number of administrative offices for the School of Public Health as well as academic and administrative offices for the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation and the Office of Research Administration.
The medical school’s newest research building, at 10 Amistad Street, is home to three interdisciplinary groups: the Interdepartmental Program in Vascular Biology and Therapeutics, the Human and Translational Immunology Program, and the Yale Stem Cell Center.
The Anlyan Center for Medical Research and Education is the medical school’s largest state-of-the-art research and educational facility. Completed in November 2002, this outstanding facility is located on the corner of Cedar Street and Congress Avenue and encompasses a full city block. The building includes six floors of laboratories for disease-based research, core facilities for genomics and magnetic resonance imaging, and state-of-the-art teaching space for anatomy and histology. This facility provides laboratories and offices for the departments of Internal Medicine, Genetics, Immunobiology, Laboratory Medicine, Neurosurgery, and Radiology and Biomedical Imaging.
Edward S. Harkness Memorial Hall, 367 Cedar Street, is a student dormitory with the Nicholas P. R. Spinelli student lounge, the Class of 1958 Fitness Center, dining facilities, and the Phyllis Bodel Childcare Center. The School of Medicine offices of admissions, student affairs, financial aid, and international health and student programs are located on the second floor. The offices of education, student research, M.D./Ph.D. Program, and multicultural affairs are located on the third floor.
A number of other spaces in the vicinity of the School are leased rather than owned by Yale University.
The VA Connecticut Healthcare System, West Haven, a major teaching affiliate of the School of Medicine, is the site of the Paralyzed Veterans of America/EPVA Center for Neuroscience and Regeneration Research of Yale University.